The Veterans’ Nomination Scheme
We run the Veterans’ Nomination Scheme to find affordable accommodation for Veterans across the country.
- The VNS team has found a home for more than 475 Veterans
- On average we find a new home for a Veteran every third working day
- By partnering with social landlords, we are able to arrange accommodation for people across England and Wales
- This scheme works well for single Veterans and couples without children with low support needs who otherwise might struggle to get accommodation through a Local Authority
- More than 95% of tenancies are successful for the long-term
- The application process is straightforward. We accept applications from organisations referring Veterans. We are not able to accept direct applications from Veterans.
- Demand in London is very high – finding a home for a Veteran in other parts of the country is easier
- This service is backed by the Royal British Legion
What is the Veterans’ Nomination Scheme?
The Veterans’ Nomination Scheme is a great way for Veterans to rent stable, affordable accommodation. The VNS has arranged a home for over 450 Veterans. We cover the whole of England and get new properties all the time from over 90 housing associations and social landlords. We then match vacancies with Veterans. The Veterans’ Nomination Scheme is run by Stoll in partnership with The Royal British Legion.
Who can benefit?
The Veterans’ Nomination Scheme is aimed mainly at single people and couples without children who would not normally be able to get social housing. This includes people who are sleeping on a friend’s sofa, living in a hostel or are in supported housing. We can also help find accommodation for Service Leavers who are making the transition to civilian life. The Veterans’ Nomination Scheme is only suitable for Veterans who can live independently with very little support.
What sort of accommodation is available?
We have access to one-bedroom flats and studios in England. We are occasionally offered properties for families, but the waiting list for these tends to be very long. All the properties are for rent at affordable levels.
Where are the properties?
We cover the whole of England and Wales, and get new properties all the time. See our map here
How do I get referred?
Step 1: Referral
- Any organisation that works with Veterans (e.g. Stoll, The Royal British Legion, SSAFA, Help for Heroes) can make a referral to the VNS team. We are not able to accept direct applications from Veterans.
- To refer a Veteran, please complete the VNS referral form.
- The referrer will need to verify the Veteran’s service record and support needs and demonstrate that they will arrange support for the Veteran, if it is needed.
Step 2: Processing the referral
- The VNS team will acknowledge receipt of the referral and review the form. If we are happy with the referral, we will add the Veteran to our waiting list. We will try and match the Veteran with appropriate accommodation in the desired area.
Step 3: Matching the Veteran with appropriate accommodation
- The Veteran will be invited by the housing provider for an interview and pre-tenancy checks. These will include identity, financial and other checks to assess suitability for their housing.
- The landlord will let the Veteran “bid” for properties if there is high demand or will offer them a property that is ready to let.
- The Veteran will then be invited to view a property to see if it’s appropriate.
Step 4: Moving in
- If the Veteran is happy, a tenancy is prepared and a moving in date is arranged.
Please note: we cannot make guarantees or give precise timescales as we need to match Veterans with appropriate accommodation as and when homes become available.
How do I find out more information?
Please get in touch for more information;
T 020 7381 8652
You may be interested in:
- Finding out how you could provide properties to the VNS
- Stoll housing
- Stoll’s Outreach service
- The support and wellbeing opportunities at Stoll